Editor’s note: The global COVID-19 crisis has left each one of us deeply affected and we want to help. Burda Media India has organised a fundraising campaign to #FightBackWithTesting and donating RT-PCR test kits to the worst-affected areas in India, which will be secured from our testing partner Mylab Discovery Solutions. You can help these kits reach many more by donating for the cause or by adopting a kit. Click here to join the fight.
Self-isolation has left us with an abundance of two things—stress and time. While too much stress can take a toll on the skin, you can spend some of that excess time trying these homemade beauty recipes for a natural glow. By Sushmita Srivastav
1. ALOE VERA & ROSEMARY HAIR OIL
For that long-overdue deep scalp massage.
- One aloe vera leaf
- Half a cup of organic coconut oil
- Six drops of rosemary essential oil
- Cut open the aloe vera leaf into two halves and scoop out the gel in a small bowl.
- Take half a cup of organic coconut oil in a mixing bowl and add an equal proportion of aloe vera gel to it.
- Mix well and heat the content on low flame for around five minutes.
- Let it cool down.
- Add rosemary oil and pour the blend in a dark bottle.
- Store this in a glass bottle and use it to massage your scalp and roots well.
This homemade hair oil is great for boosting hair growth. It helps prevent hair fall and strengthens weak roots while nourishing the scalp.
2. SHEA BUTTER & LAVENDER HAND CREAM
Treat yourself with a moisturising manicure.
- Two teaspoons of shea butter
- Two teaspoons of beeswax
- One teaspoon of sweet almond oil
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- Prepare a double boiler—fill half a pot with water and once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and fit a smaller bowl inside it.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, add shea butter, beeswax, and sweet almond oil, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in the boiler and keep stirring till it melts completely.
- Remove it from the heat and mix the lavender essential oil in it.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Give it a stir once more and pour the liquid into a small glass jar.
- Allow it to harden at room temperature (this could take a few hours).
- Apply this nourishing hand cream thoroughly after using a good hand scrub.
Rich with vitamins and nourishing agents, this hand cream will soothe your skin and leave your hands soft and supple.
3. CHAMOMILE FOOT SOAK
A natural way to soften those cracked heels.
- Five chamomile tea bags
- Half a cup of bath salts
- Five drops of lavender essential oil
- Three tablespoons of raw honey
- Boil water in a large pan and add the tea bags to it.
- Allow them to seep for about five minutes.
- Remove the pan, add bath salts, honey, and the essential oil.
- Pour it into a basin and soak your feet in it for 25 minutes.
- Pat your feet dry and apply a light layer of moisturiser.
Chamomile is known to soothe the skin, combat bacteria, and help heal dry, cracked heels.
4. AVOCADO & COCOA FACE MASK
An organic mix for hydrated and glowing skin.
- One-fourth fresh avocado
- One tablespoon of cocoa powder
- One tablespoon of honey
- A few drops of Vitamin E oil
- Peel off the skin of the avocado and mash it in a bowl.
- Add cocoa powder, honey, and Vitamin E oil to it.
- Mix thoroughly to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this mask on your clean face.
- Let it dry for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and moisturise.
While avocado is extremely hydrating, cocoa acts as a soothing antioxidant and honey kills all the bacteria. This mask works wonders on inflamed and dry skin.
5. BERRY TINTED LIP BALM
Pucker up with a natural shine.
- Six strawberries or raspberries
- Two tablespoons of organic coconut oil
- One tablespoon of beeswax
- A few drops of your favourite essential oil
- Prepare a double boiler by placing a dish in a saucepan with boiling water.
- Melt coconut oil and beeswax in the dish and stir.
- Grind the berries and mix them in the dish through continuous stirring.
- Take it off the flame after five minutes and add the essential oil.
- Place it in a small container, put the lid on, and let it cool.
- As the balm starts to cool off, it will begin to settle at the bottom.
- Now, flip the container sideways to let the balm distribute evenly.
- Leave it for some time before applying.
It is a healthy, tasty, and rich way to keep your lips hydrated and plump.