When stepping out of the cosy, and safe space of your home is not an option anymore, dreams of exploring the world brew up within you. Add in a drizzle of virtual travel and a splattering of gourmet food, and you’ve got what we call #TNLTasteOfTheWorld. Throughout the series, we’ll be getting in touch with chefs from around the world to recreate their signature dishes for you to try at home. After all, who said one needs to leave the house to embark on a culinary trail? Recipe by Chef Maike Menzel
All of 29, Chef Maike Menzel from Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich is a force to reckon with. Not only is she the head chef in the star-rated Schwarzreiter restaurant, but she is also Germany’s youngest Michelin-starred chef. Her ripe young career already has experience well beyond her years. Her resume includes working at a Japanese restaurant Emiko in the Louis Hotel in Munich, at Hotel Bachmair Weissach in Tegernsee and in Restaurant Pageou by Ali Güngörmüş in Munich. Although her Bavarian roots are evident, her dishes transcend all kinds of boundaries, each donning international flavours and styles.
For this episode of #TnlTasteOfTheWorld, Chef Menzel brings her love for a German favourite, but authentically Austrian sweet dish to the foreground – a Kaiserschmarrn.
- Egg white
- Egg yolk
- Crème fraîche or sour cream
- Rum raisins
- Powdered sugar
- In a bowl, mix egg white with salt and beat it together.
- In a separate bowl, add milk to egg yolks and mix well.
- Next, add sugar and vanilla to this mix. Stir well.
- Then add flour to this mix and keep whisking.
- Next, add a tablespoon of crème fraîche or sour cream to the batter. Mix well.
- Add the egg white to this mix, and stir.
- In a pan, add butter and pour the batter over it. Bake this in the oven for five minutes until puffy.
- Carefully take the pan out of the oven, cut the pancakes into parts, and flip it. Put it back into the oven to bake for another minute.
- Once baked, break the kaiserschmarrn into pieces. Add butter and powdered sugar, and mix well.
- Serve hot with blueberries and powdered sugar as garnish.