Allow easy, cashless transactions to create priceless moments during your next trip to Sri Lanka.
One of the closest neighbours of India, Sri Lanka has long been overshadowed by its turbulent past and years of uncertainity. However, all that is changing now, and the island nation is finally getting its due attention on the tourist map. It wasn’t long ago that Sri Lanka was hailed as a beach destination. But, there is more to the country than its pristine beaches and national parks. Only a few places have as many UNESCO World Heritage sites (eight) packed into such a small area. An experiential trip across the Cultural Triangle—Anuradhapura,
Polonnaruwa, and Kandy—gives one a closer look at its vibrant history and ancient civilisations. The expedition deserves at least a week and your undivided attention. Therefore, travel cashless and plan your trip in advance with a global payments company, such as Mastercard, to avail exciting offers and savings on hotels and flight bookings, besides a hassle-free experience. Accepted at over 40 million merchants, across 200 countries, Mastercard has become an unavoidable travel essential for every global jetsetter.
- Start your journey with Anuradhapura. One of the ancient capitals of Sri Lanka, the city
today wears a warm, welcoming ambience, and is dotted with an enormous collection of archaeological and architectural wonders. Hire a cab with Casons Rent a Car, and explore popular attractions like Sri Maha Bodhi Abhayagiri Dagoba, Anuradhapura World Heritage Site, Ratnaprasada, while saving up to 10 per cent.
2. While you’re travelling abroad, one of the key decisions to be made is how to carry money and how much is too much. While there’s definite answer to this, carrying plastic money instead of bundles of cash is anytime safer and convenient. We’d recommend opting for Mastercard to take care of your non-discretionary expenses as you create priceless memories in Polonnaruwa where hundreds of ancient structures—tombs and temples, statues and stupas—are the last standing testimony of a glorious past.
3. Save two days to explore Kandy, where mist-covered hills and a lake make the central setting for an indulgent vacation. And don’t forget to carry Mastercard for a stress-free shopping spree at Kandyan Art Association & Cultural Centre, Waruna Antiques, and Jayamali Batiks Studio.
4. On the last leg of your trip, travel to Colombo for shopping exquisite porcelain ware at Dankotuwa Porcelain and intricate stone jewellery at Stone n String, savouring masala crab at Black Pepper and Chinese cuisine at Mainland China, and avail discounts up to 15 per cent. The Steuart by Citrus is a good base to explore the capital. Mastercard holders can enjoy 15 per cent off. Other properties by the group include Citrus Waskaduwa and Citrus Hikkaduwa.
SAVE MORE WITH MASTERCARD
1. Amaya Resorts is a preferred destination to travellers visiting Kandy, Psikudah, and Wadduwa. Mastercard users can avail up to 60 per cent savings.
3. If Sigiriya Rocks features on your itinerary, JetWing Vil Uyana makes for an ideal
base. Use Mastercard to save up to 15 per cent on rooms.